Recipe by Brandi Kolmer (@cocoaandsalt)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for cake pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons The Jam Stand Blueberry Bourbon Jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare the frosting by mixing butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar and vanilla in a large bowl or stand mixer on medium speed until well combined. Then gently fold in jam until just combined.
- Place one cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand or plate.. Using a icing spatula, spread the top with the blueberry bourbon frosting. Top with remaining cake; frost top, then sides. It’s ok if it looks messy. That’s what homemade cake should look like!