Salted Honey Chocolate Cake
(makes one 6-in cake)
For the cake:
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky maldon salt
- 1 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 milk
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- variety of fresh berries (I used red currants and blackberries)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter one 6-inch-round cake pan and set aside.
Whisk flour, the baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder in a bowl until combined. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, and honey in a large bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and milk, one ingredient at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Once thoroughly mixed, add in the dry mixture in portions and beat.
Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is lightly golden on top and when an inserted knife comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool. While cooling, prepare the topping by whipping heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Once the cake has cooled, top with whipped cream and berries.