Recipe by Tyler Westerfield
Honey Glazed Biscuits
Makes 8 Biscuits
- 2 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or high-quality lard, chilled
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. Catskill Provisions Raw Wildflower Spring Honey, divided
- Maldon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in 5 Tbsp. butter, cubed, and shortening into flour mixture using a pastry blender or two knives until butter is the size of peas.
- Slowly add buttermilk to flour/butter mixture, using a wooden spoon to mix. Add 1 Tbsp. honey and stir to combine; mixture will be wet. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Lightly dust top of dough with flour, then shape into a rectangle. Laminate dough by folding dough into thirds, as with a letter; repeat shaping and folding two more times. After the final fold, shape dough into a 10”x6” rectangle. Cut dough into 8 biscuits using a knife (for square biscuits) or a round cutter. Place cut biscuits on prepared baking sheet and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- While biscuits chill, make honey butter glaze by melting together remaining butter and honey gently over low heat. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Brush biscuits with honey butter glaze and bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. (Save extra glaze for sandwich assembly.) Remove biscuits from oven and immediately sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a cooling rack until ready to use.
Makes 8 Pieces
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 8 pieces
1 C. buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C. flour
1 C. panko
1/2 tsp. chili powder
Kosher salt and black pepper
High quality organic expeller-pressed oil, for frying
- Place chicken in a bowl with buttermilk, cover with plastic wrap, and chill 1-2 hours.
- Prepare frying stations. In a shallow pan, mix together flour, panko, chili powder, salt, and pepper. In another shallow pan, whisk eggs. Heat 2” oil in a cast iron skillet until oil reaches 350°. Place a cooling rack on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Prep and cook two pieces of chicken at a time. Drain excess buttermilk from chicken, then dip into egg, then cover in flour/panko mixture. Place in oil immediately.
- Fry each piece until golden brown, rotating once, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Once the pieces are done, place each on prepared cooling rack. Reheat remaining honey butter glaze.
- To assemble, cut a biscuit in half, add a chicken piece, drizzle with butter honey glaze, and replace biscuit top. Serve immediately.