For as long as I can imagine, I’ve had a sweet tooth and have loved cookies – particularly if they’re covered in coconut. And in my opinion, a little jam makes everything better. The Stagg Jam I used in these Coconut Thumbprint Cookies was the perfect balance to the shortbread-type base. All four flavors, Seasoned Sorrel, Lemon Poppyseed, Banana Jam, and Cherry Chai were each delicious yet completely different, making each of the cookies unique in taste. The outcome were dense, buttery and perfectly sweet cookies with a blast of flavor!
Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flake
- Preheat oven to 350° F degrees. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, coconut oil and sugar with a hand mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Gradually add flour and 1/2 teaspoon table salt and continue to mix until combined. Mixture will be crumbly but will stick together when pressed.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Dip each ball into the beaten eggs, and roll in coconut.
- On a parchment-lined sheet arrange prepared cookies and press an indentation into each using your thumb. If the shape changes after pressing, make sure to reshape the edges.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, remove sheets from oven and re-press indentations with the back of a spoon. Bake cookies until golden, 9 to 10 minutes more and allow to cool on a rack.
- Using a spoon, fill the thumbprints with jam and enjoy!