Made by Tyler Westerfield (@tylerwesterfield)
Makes 4 Hand Pies + 4 Slaw Servings
Total Time: Approximately 4 Hours (1 Hour Total Active)
- 2 lbs. baby back ribs
- 2 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke
- Greenpoint Trading Co. El Capitan BBQ Rub
- 1/3 C. prepared BBQ sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 single pie crust, made with 1-2 tsp EL Captain
- ½ green cabbage
- 1 apple, cored and peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- ¼ C. white vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt & black pepper
- To prepare ribs, set a wire rack on a large sheet pan covered with aluminum foil. Dry ribs with a paper towel. Brush both sides of ribs with liquid smoke and generously cover with Green Point Trading Co. El Captain BBQ rub. Cover ribs with foil and refrigerate one hour. Preheat oven to 275° after 45 minutes.
- Uncover ribs and bake on middle rack 1.5-2 hours; the ribs are ready when meat easily separates from bone. Remove from oven and cool.
- While ribs cool, roll pie crust to 1/8” thickness. Trim dough to form a 12”x12” square, then cut into eight 3”x6” rectangles. Place dough pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- While dough rests, remove meat from ribs and place in a medium bowl. Shred meat to small pieces. Pour enough BBQ sauce to moisten meat; do not soak meat with sauce.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Distribute pork evenly on four dough pieces, leaving a ½” border. Cover each piece with remaining pieces to form a hand pie. Crimp edges using a fork and make three ½” steam vents in the top of each pie using a sharp knife.
- Beat egg with 1 tsp. water in a small bowl. Brush egg-water mixture on top of each hand pie. Bake hand pies 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While hand pies bake, make the slaw by shredding the cabbage, apple, and carrots in a food processor. Place shredded vegetables in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; check for seasoning. Pour vinaigrette over shredded vegetables. Refrigerate until hand pies are ready.
When hand pies finish baking, transfer to a wire rack to cool for five minutes. Eat hand pies immediately with a generous helping of slaw.